Sunday, October 23, 2011

Week 4: Reflections on Skill-building Websites for Reading/Writing Skills and Technology-enhanced Lesson Plans

My joys are a lot as I see that the Webskills course is introducing me to manifold uses of the web resources. Every ween comes with something new and interesting that was in the past quite unexplored by me. I feel like quoting from "On first looking into Chapman's Homer" that 'much have I traveled in the realms of gold, many unknown kingdoms seen' but I was quite blind to this web chapter until Robert (like Chapman)has exposed me to this wide horizon of online resources. This week was a very prolific one. There were three important articles, one on "Lesson plans from the Innovative Technology Center at the University of Tennessee", the second was on "Using the Internet in ESL Writing Instruction (2000)" and the third was on "Three Extensive Reading Activities for ESL/EFL Students Using E-books (2004)". I read all three and found them interesting. First of all, the technology-enhanced lesson plan appeared to be a very innovative and new technique of teaching in my context. I've tried to prepare one that I've posted in the nicenet. Secondly, I gained knowledge about integrating web pages, e-mail connection and class websites for teaching writing. And finally, I've learned how online resources enable ESL/EFL learners to get access to authentic materials and communicate online where e-books can also be a workable option especially for kids. I've downloaded an e-book on teaching prepositions through pictures for kids and the URL is: http://www.anglianetwork.eu/exercises/juniorE.pdf.

As yet I've not been completely successful in implementing all the strategies in my class due to some constraints such as limited access to the computer lab, very few courses taken this semester etc and above all, I myself am in the learning stage. but from the very beginning of the next semester in January 2012, I am hopeful to use my webskills as one of the most effective tools for enhancing teaching and learning in my university.

There is much to learn from the discussion posts in the nicenet. Every teacher is sending something new every week that requires time to read and store. I'm not sure whether we as teachers can have an easy access to our posts even after we end up getting certificates by successfully completing this course. That is why, I'm saving most of the documents in a private file.

Nice being with you all (my coursemates and instructor). Thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Zia
    Very nice posting. I agree, the peers/teachers of this class add a virtual treasure trove of ideas each week. Don't worry too much about immediate implementation of everything we cover; take it one step at a time and slowly build towards integration based on prioritized needs.
    Robert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robert for your valuable comment. I'm not at all worrying as the techniques I've learnt so far are really wonderful. I feel like conducting a CALL course in my country. But I think you have special softwares for conducting a course like this. Is it possible for me also?

    ReplyDelete