Thursday, October 6, 2011

Webskills, Week-2: Reflections

I am teacher in Bangladesh Agricultuaural University, Mymensingh, Bangladesh. I teach mostly ESL/EFL foundation courses that include English Reading and Writing Skills, Listening skills and Speaking skills. I also take a course on Business English in a private university in Dhaka. In addition I take part-time classes in a collegiate school and teach English to students of Class ix to xii.

From this webskills course, I've greatly learned how to teach online. I've already instructed my university students to make individual blogs and post comments under the lessons that I publish in my blog. I've told them to comment on others blogs at least once a week and write whether they like the lessons and lectures in class. For the college students, I searched fairy tales and other stories through www.noodletools.com and found some interesting stories with pictures. I learned that there are many other search engines apart from google and advised my learners to search topics using variety of search engines.

I find this webskills course very interesting and challenging. Thanks Robert for your directions and guidelines.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ziaul,

    It is great that you have already started implementing the ideas and knowledge we are getting into practice with your students. At first, I also thought of instructing my students to create blogs for reflection and found that it would be a bit difficult this time as my students study in blended mode and their fa-to-face classes are already finished.

    So, how is the response of the students in creating the blog and writing reflections?

    Roza, Maldives

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ziaul,

    I started creating blogs with my students, too. You can imagine how happy they were when they made their first posts.
    I am lucky as we have wireless internet connection and all my students are provided with net books.

    Keep up the good work!

    Elmira.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Roza and Elmira:
    Nice to see ur comments. As Elmira said, my students also become elated at first but what happens later is that they need to be reminded to post comments and share ideas. Otherwise they show that they are so busy that they have no time at all. May be, it seems difficult at first and so they are less motivated. But I'm sure if it is a regular practice, they will like it.

    Thanks for ur valuable comments.

    Yours,

    zia

    ReplyDelete